Work on phase 1 of the Stretford movement and public realm improvements is due to get under way on 18th April 2017 with contractors AE Yates Ltd scheduled to be on site until October 2017.
The Phase 1 improvements will deliver:
- The closure of three of the four existing subways underneath Chester Road, Kingsway and Edge Lane;
- The introduction of new surface level pedestrian crossing facilities;
- The creation of an additional right turn lane on Chester Road for vehicles turning into Edge Lane;
- Upgraded traffic signals;
- Improvements to the Stretford Mall entrance area off the Chester Road/Edge Lane junction;
- The provision of new landscaped areas and public green space in locations currently occupied by the subways and their accesses.
Also, as part of the scheme, the speed limit on Chester Road has been reduced from 40mph to 30mph to improve public safety and further signage will be in place by the end of March to give motorists additional information that this change in speed limit is now in effect. A survey will then take place at the end of the phase 1 works to determine if the 30mph speed limit is being adhered to and identify if any further measures need to be introduced.
Deputy Executive Member for Economic Growth, Environment and Infrastructure, Cllr Brian Shaw, welcomed the start of the works and said: “Securing the successful regeneration of Stretford Town Centre is a key priority for Trafford Council. The Stretford Town Centre Masterplan identified the need for a comprehensive public realm and movement scheme that will make Stretford a more attractive and successful town centre.
Local concerns and comments have been listened to and built into the design and I’m excited to see the start of the works. Whilst the overall implementation of the public realm phases will take place over several years, these initial works will enable Stretford town centre to start to maximise benefits from public and private sector investment and attract investor, developer and end user interest.”
The final designs for the phase 1 scheme have been prepared in consultation with the Stretford Working Group / Panel that brings together local elected members, council officers, businesses and representatives of community groups who are working to progress the implementation of the Stretford Town Centre Masterplan.
Posted on Tuesday 21st March 2017