Trafford Council is to progress with bold plans that will enable residents to travel safely across the borough during the lockdown period and the recovery phase.
The authority, alongside council leaders from across Greater Manchester, has launched the Safe Streets Save Lives campaign.
With access to a share of £5m worth of investment, through the Mayors Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund (MCF), a number of ‘shared spaces’ will be created for people to walk, exercise and cycle, safely.
The emergency funding has been made available as part of a COVID-19 recovery plan.
These temporary measures will range from footway extensions, one-way streets, extra cycle lanes and the removal of through traffic on certain roads and some pedestrian guard rails.
Cllr Stephen Adshead, Trafford Council’s Executive Member for Environment, Air Quality and Climate Change, said:
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the way we travel has been transformed as more people turn to walking and cycling to get about.
These new measure will help ease social distancing at specific hotspots in areas outside shops and transport hubs.
I welcome these improvements, as they represent a positive move forward and compound that the health and safety of our residents is a priority. “
Changes to the following locations will assist with social distancing – and are intended to promote cycling and walking:
- Flixton Road, Urmston, outside Malcolm’s Pharmacy
- Station Road, Urmston, outside Whittaker’s Fish & Chips and Pinocchio’s Takeaway.
- A5145 Edge Lane, Stretford, between A56 Chester Road and Kings Road. The measures will be located in both directions.
- Old Hall Lane, Sale Moor, between B5397 Dane Road and the bus stop layby near Wythenshawe Road. This measure will only be in the south-west bound direction.
- A5145 Edge Lane, Stretford, between Kings Road and Cromwell Road (at the entrance to Longford Park). This measure will only be achievable in the east bound direction.
Locations for long term options include:
- A56, Sale/Stretford – Glebelands Road to approach to Barton Road/Chester Road gyratory (Northbound) Bridgewater Way which is located next to the WCC entrance.
- A56, Sale/Stretford – Newton Street to Glebelands Road (Southbound)
Posted on Thursday 14th May 2020