The decision not to ease restrictions in Trafford has been welcomed by Trafford Council.
Matt Hancock, Health and Social Care Secretary, took the decision that Trafford – along with Bolton Council – should not have coronavirus restrictions removed. This was due to an increase in cases of coronavirus.
Trafford Council is also supporting calls for the government to agree a way of removing all restrictions in Greater Manchester and to introduce local targeted intervention as quickly as possible.
This would involve focusing on small geographical areas where there are rising cases, a significant increase in testing, including of asymptomatic people, working with business and communities to raise awareness and stronger enforcement where necessary, and for further financial support provided to those who are self-isolating, beyond the measures recently announced.
A spokesperson for Trafford Council said:
“We welcome the government decision to listen to our concerns and think they have made the right decision not to ease restrictions in Trafford especially given the rising rates of infection in the borough over the last week or so.
“We know that many residents and businesses were looking forward to taking advantage of the relaxation of restrictions but we are in this together and it is important we stick to the guidance to bring the rates down again.
“We are supporting the calls from all the Greater Manchester councils for the government to provide a way for all restrictions to be lifted on businesses and people across the region as soon as possible”
Eleanor Roaf, Trafford Council’s Director of Public Health said the Council’s focus would continue to be on reducing the risks of exposure to coronavirus across the borough so residents are safe and businesses can continue to trade safely.
She added: “We would urge everyone to continue to take care and, by following the restrictions now, we can reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading. The sooner our infection rates have a sustained fall then the sooner we can have restrictions lifted.
“Above all, we urge everyone in our borough to stay at home as much as possible, limit contact with other people, wash your hands regularly, and get tested and self-isolate if you have any coronavirus symptoms.”
The key elements of the continuing restrictions are as follows:
• Do not visit someone’s home or garden unless you have formed a support bubble
• Do not socialise with people you don’t live with at indoor venues
• Do not meet in outdoor public spaces in groups of more than six
Anyone experiencing symptoms should get a test – which can be booked online or by calling 119. Anyone with a positive test must self-isolate for 10 days, and household contacts need to self-isolate for 14 days.
Posted on Wednesday 2nd September 2020