Residents are invited to attend a huge borough-wide Trafford Council extravaganza to celebrate His Majesty King Charles lll’s Coronation.
Hundreds of families are expected to attend the official King’s Coronation civic activities at various venues across the borough from May 5 to May 8.
The fun will kick off on May 5 when the Council’s Environmental Improvement team carry out litter picks in the borough and invite residents to take part in their own. Trafford Town Hall and Altrincham Town Hall will be lit up to mark the occasion and there will also be a total of 21 street parties across the borough and ‘Big Lunch events’ at parks throughout May.
Events on May 6 include:
- Library fun: The Coronation will be shown live at libraries across the borough and there will be craft activities and a craft competition for children to take part in.
- Sale Waterside: The Coronation will be displayed on screens in the reception of Sale Waterside with craft activities and the craft competition for children on Saturday May 6. A long table decorated for the Coronation will be set up where people can enjoy tea and cake, and the refreshment stall in the reception area will be manned by council staff.
- The Local studies Centre: The centre will display two boards, one for information to show the history of the Coronations throughout the years all the way back to 1902 and the other with images from when King Charles visited Trafford in the past. There will also be archive items on display, and these will remain on display for people to view. The team are also creating a downloadable children’s activity book that will be on the Exploring Trafford’s Heritage page. This website will also hold the information that is shown on the display so that anyone who might not be able to attend can still access the information.
- Waterside Arts, Sale: There will be a free-to-attend public screening of The Coronation in the Robert Bolt Theatre. To book, please go to watersidearts.org/coronation
- Waterside Plaza, Sale: The Sale Festival team have arranged entertainment including a face painter and saxophonist. There will also be music, children’s dancing events, a pizza stall and an ice cream van. Sale-based GRIP Adventure will be providing kayaking, canoeing, a karaoke boat, archery, and rock climbing on the canal and in their unit under the bridge.
A spokesperson for Trafford Council said: “His Majesty King Charles lll’s Coronation is a huge event for the country and we in Trafford will be celebrating accordingly. We have organised lots of fun activities across the weekend and will be showing the Coronation at various centres so people can watch the historic occasion live. We have also signed off 21 street parties and several Big Lunch events so to help make this a celebration to remember!”
For more information, please go to the official Trafford Council Coronation web page: His Majesty King Charles III's Coronation (trafford.gov.uk)
Posted on Monday 24th April 2023