Types of School

Academies and free schools

Academies and Free schools are state-funded, non-fee paying independent schools set up by a funding agreement between the Secretary of State and the school. These schools are not controlled by the Local Authority but must act in accordance with the same School Admissions Code as all other State-funded schools.

Community schools

Community schools are run by the local authority, which employs the staff, owns the land and buildings and decides which ‘admissions criteria’ to use (these are used to allocate  places if the school has more applicants than places).

Foundation and trust schools

Foundation schools are run by their own governing body, which employs the staff and sets the admissions criteria. The land and buildings are usually owned by the governing body or a charitable foundation.

A Trust school is a type of foundation school which forms a charitable trust with an outside partner - for example, a business or educational charity - aiming to raise standards and explore new ways of working. The decision to become a Trust school is taken by the governing body, with parents having a say.

Grammar schools

Grammar schools are permitted to select children on the basis of high academic ability, and to leave places unfilled if they have insufficient applicants of the required standard.

Voluntary-aided schools

Voluntary-aided schools are mainly religious or ‘faith’ schools, although anyone can apply for a place. As with foundation schools, the governing body employs the staff and sets the admissions criteria. The school buildings and land are normally owned by a charitable foundation, often a religious organisation. The governing body contributes to building and maintenance costs.

Voluntary-controlled schools

Voluntary-controlled schools are similar to voluntary aided schools, but are run by the local authority. As with community schools, the local authority: employs the school’s staff and sets the admissions criteria. The school land and buildings are normally owned by a charity, often a religious organisation, which also appoints some of the members of the governing body.

University Technical colleges and Studio schools

University Technical colleges are set up by universities and businesses and specialise in one or two technical subjects. Admission is into Year 10. At GCSE they offer a similar curriculum to a typical 11 -18 secondary school, including the basics of English and Maths, as well as their specialist subject.

Studio Schools are similar to UTC’s in that they have employer involvement in the curriculum and focus on developing the skills needed for employment, involving personal coaching and work experience, alongside a similar curriculum to a typical 11-18 secondary.

UCS Bolton - Specialism: Health sciences | Engineering

Cheshire Studio School - Specialism: Construction | Hospitality with Hair and Beauty | Health and Social Care | Design and Media

AldridgeUTC@MediaCityUK - Specialism: Creative and digital industries, Entrepreneurship

UTC Warrington - Specialism: Engineering | Science