Blue Badge Scheme

Timescale for orders

The timescale for processing an application if you do not automatically qualify for a badge is up to 6 weeks.

Blue badges allow cars carrying people who have severe walking difficulties or are registered blind to park near shops, stations and other facilities. Blue badges are a nationally recognised disabled parking scheme. You can find out more from the Department for Transport website. 

Blue badge fee

A charge of £10 must be paid for each badge issued, including renewals and replacements for lost or stolen badges.

How to apply

Being in receipt of certain disability benefits or having a specific condition may mean you qualify automatically - you will need to be able to provide details and evidence of this. See 'Am I eligible to apply?' for more information.

If you don't qualify automatically you will need to be able to answer questions about how your condition affects your mobility, including how far you can walk, what medications you take and details of any medical professionals involved in your care. Make sure you have this information to hand when your application is being made.

To apply for a new badge or to reapply at renewal, use our online form. The form will request a photograph, proof of identity, proof of residence and supporting documentation. This can speed up the application process; however it is not essential to attach these documents to the application, you can provide them later in the process.

Once your application is received, it may either be approved, rejected or you may be referred for an independent mobility assessment. The £10 badge fee will only be taken once your application has been approved.

Applicants diagnosed with a terminal illness

If you are applying for a blue badge on behalf of someone diagnosed with a terminal illness, read our policy document and then apply online.


You may be eligible if :

  • You receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA) (see 'What evidence will I need to provide?' for more information); or
  • You receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (see 'What evidence will I need to provide?' for more information); or
  • You receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for Descriptor E under the 'planning and following journeys' activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress (see 'What evidence will I need to provide?' for more information); or
  • You are registered blind (severely sight impaired) (see 'What evidence will I need to provide?' for more information); or
  • You receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) (see 'What evidence will I need to provide?' for more information); or
  • You have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, and are certified as having an enduring and substantial disability, which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
  • You have severe upper arm disabilities in both arms and regularly drive a non-adapted vehicle but cannot operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meter.
  • You have an enduring and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking or undertaking a journey. In this case we may ask you more questions to help us determine whether you are eligible for a badge, and further evidence may be required.
  • You have a child under the age of three with specific medical conditions. These badges are valid until the child's third birthday. After this point they will be required to apply for a Blue Badge in the same way as other children over the age of three years; the criteria listed above will apply.
  • You are an organisation caring for disabled people meeting the above criteria you may be able to get a badge, at our discretion.

Blue Badge scheme since 30 August 2019

On 30 August 2019 the Blue Badge scheme was extended to people with 'hidden' disabilities.

The new criteria will extend eligibility to people who:

  • Experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress;
  • Are at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.

See the revised Department for Transport Local Authority Guidance document which was updated September 2019.

Evidence required

Depending on the reason for your eligibility, you may be asked to provide evidence in support of your application. This might be proof of a relevant benefit for example:

  • If you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you will be asked for an award letter dated within the last 12 months; for PIP this must include the full score breakdown of your award, and detail the period of the award.
  • If you are registered blind, you will be asked to provide you Certificate of Visual Impairment.
  • If you are in receipt of War Pensioner's Supplement, you will be asked to provide your latest pension statement.

You may also be asked to provide other supporting evidence, such as documentation from a health professional or social worker involved in your care.

How long you can keep the badge

Badges are issued for a period of three years, unless your application is linked to Disability Living Allowance or PIP (Personal Independence Payment)  and your award period for these is less than 3 years. In that case, the badge will expire when your Disability Living Allowance or PIP award ends.

Organisations caring for disabled people meeting the above criteria may be able to get a badge, at our discretion.

Lost or stolen badges

If your Blue Badge has been lost or stolen you will need complete the Report a lost or stolen blue car badge form.

If you don’t agree with the decision made

If you feel that the decision we have made is incorrect, you may appeal by emailing or writing to:

Blue Car Badge Team
Sale Waterside
Waterside Plaza
M33 7ZF

This must be done within three months of your refusal date.

You should detail why you feel the decision is wrong, and you must provide supporting medical evidence which is recent and details specifically how your condition/s affect your walking ability or your ability to undertake a journey. Note that documentation from your GP alone will not be sufficient.

As part of the appeals process, we may also ask you to attend an appointment with an independent mobility assessor who will make observations on your walking ability and provide a report for us to consider.

We will then review our decision and let you know the outcome by email or letter.

How we will use your data

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Further information is available on