It is a requirement of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 that undertakers notify highway authorities of works on the highway. However, emergency road works can start before notice is given.

The efficient co-ordination of street works is an important aspect of street works legislation, benefiting street authorities, undertakers and road users alike. The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) requires highway authorities to co-ordinate works of all kinds, including local authority works.

The objectives of the co-ordination process are to:

  • Ensure the works are carried out in the interests of safety.
  • Ensure the expeditious swift movement of traffic on the authority road network.
  • To minimise the inconvenience to persons using the street, having regard in particular to the needs of people with a disability.
  • To protect the structure of the street and the integrity of the apparatus in it.

Successful co-ordination requires accurate and timely information / notices, along with good communication between street authorities and undertakers. Please note that non statutory undertakers are required to complete a Section 50 license application before any works are allowed to commence on the highway.

Please contact us for further advice and support.

How do I obtain a Section 50 Licence?

To apply, please complete the Section 50 application form and submit it along with any additional information required as outline in the form.

It is in the public interest that each submitted application form is processed before being granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

How can I see what street works are registered to take place?

If you access our street works register you can view current and planned road works carried out by utility companies.

It is a requirement of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 that undertakers notify highway authorit of works in the highway. However, emergency road works can start before notice is given.

Please contact the relevant utility company for more information.

How can I make a complaint regarding road works?

Any complaints about the location or timing or road works should be reported using the contact details below and this will be dealt with accordingly.

Failed application redress or licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance. An appointed arbitrator will determine if consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

A to Z of Council Services