National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
Trafford Council participates in the Food Standards Agency (FSA) National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
All food businesses within the scope of the scheme will be inspected by our Environmental Health Officers and given a rating based on their compliance with the legal requirements for hygiene, structure and food safety management performance.
The different ratings are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (5 represents very good compliance levels and 0 highlights urgent improvement is necessary).
Businesses are given a window sticker showing their rating, which they are encouraged to clearly display in a prominent position for their customers to see.
You can also find ratings for businesses in the whole of England and Wales as well as more information about the Scheme by visiting the Food Standards Agency website
What can the owner of a business do if they think the rating given is unfair or wrong?
Right of Appeal
- As the food business operator of the establishment, you have a right to appeal the rating given following your inspection if you do not agree that the score reflects the hygiene standards and management controls found at the time of the inspection.
- You have 21 days (including weekends and bank holidays) from the date of receipt of this notification form to lodge an appeal.
- Any appeals should be made in writing to Suzanne Whittaker, Team Leader Environmental Health at Trafford Council, Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford M32 0TH or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Lead Officer for Food Safety will review your score and let you know the outcome of your appeal within 21 days.
- Download a Food Hygiene Rating Scheme: Appeal form or contact the Officer who inspected your premises.
Right to reply
- As the food business operator of the establishment you have a right to reply in respect of the hygiene rating given following your inspection.
- The purpose is to enable you to give an explanation of subsequent actions that have been taken to make the required improvements as detailed in the inspection letter, or to explain mitigation for the circumstances at the time of the inspection. It is not for making complaints or for criticising the scheme or the inspecting officer.
- Your comments will be reviewed by the inspecting officer and may be edited before being published on the website in order to remove any offensive or defamatory remarks.
- Download the Food Hygiene Rating scheme Right to Reply form or contact the Officer who inspected your premises.
- As the food businesses operator of the establishment you have a right to request a revisit following an inspection if you wish for a re-calculation of the scores, on the basis that non-compliance(s) identified at the time of the initial inspections have been rectified.
- If the local authority considers that you have provided sufficient evidence that the required improvements have been made, the local authority will make an unannounced visit. This will take place within three months of the request. These food hygiene revisits are subject to a charge of £165.
- Download the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme: Request for a re-visit and make a payment.