Candidates and agents information

 Most candidates stand as a member of a political party, but you can stand for election as an independent candidate (ie without belonging to any political party).


To stand for election as a councillor for Trafford Council you must:

  • Be 18 years old or over on the day of your nomination
  • Be a British citizen, an EU citizen, or a Commonwealth citizen
  • Not be disqualified from holding office

Candidates also have to meet one or more of the following criteria;

  • Be registered to vote in and/or have either lived or worked in the Trafford area for at least one year
  • Have occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or other premises in the Trafford area for at least one year

Further information about the qualification and disqualification requirements is set out in the Electoral Commission’s guidance.

Elections held on Thursday 2 May 2024

The next scheduled elections to be held in the Trafford area will be the Local Governement and Greater Manchester Combined Authority Mayoral elections. Visit the following websites for further details:

Political party

If you want to stand as a candidate for a political party, contact that party to discuss their requirements for standing.

Standing as an independent candidate

If you have questions about standing as an independent candidate, the Local Government Association Independent Group may be able to help.

Expressing an interest in standing

If you would like to stand for election in Trafford you should register your interest by email to or call 0161 912 4259

Nomination process

You must submit a set of valid nomination papers to stand for election.

You will need two people;

  • one to propose you (a nomination)
  • and the other to second the nomination.

These people need to be on the electoral register in the relevant ward.

If you want to stand as a candidate for a political party you must submit a certificate of authorisation that allows you to use the party's name or a registered description on ballot papers. You will also need to submit an emblem request if you wish for the party emblem to appear on ballot papers.

The Electoral Commission has produced guidance for candidates and agents for both political party and independent candidates.