Voter ID

To be eligible to vote or to register for a Voter Authority Certificate, you need to be registered on the electoral register. You can find out more about how to Register to Vote on the GOV.UK website.

Postal voters will not require voter ID.

Forms of ID you can use to vote

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Photo card driving licence (including provisional licence)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit the electoral commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority CertificateApply online for a voter authority certificate on GOV.UK.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form you can email or alternatively you can contact the Electoral Services Department on 0800 0234 206.

Voter ID resources

Information about the voter ID requirement for the May elections are also available in:

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, visit the electoral commission website, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.