House to house collection licence

To carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in Trafford you need a licence from Trafford Council. A licence may be granted for any length of time up to twelve months.

Eligibility criteria

To apply for a House-to-House Collection Licence you must intend to promote a collection in the Trafford Area. For the purpose of the Act, 'charitable collection' means an appeal to the public, made by means of visits from house to house, to give, whether for consideration or not, money or other property for a charitable purpose. 'Promoter' means a person who causes others to act as collectors for the purposes of the collection.

Relevant regulation

Application process

Applications must be in the form prescribed and must be accompanied by the following information:

  • Particulars of any contracts with any charity which is to benefit from the collection.
  • Accounts for the last financial year (audited if possible)
  • Literature about organisation(s) who will benefit.

You must be considered a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

We will determine whether or not the application can be accepted and may only refuse to grant the licence on one or more of the grounds contained in subsection (3) of the Act, a copy of which may be viewed via the above link.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of 28 days.

Where tacit consent is applicable, it will only apply for licences / registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

Apply online

What if my application is refused or revoked?

In the first instance, please contact us using the details shown on this page.

You also have the right to appeal.  Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of receipt of the refusal.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information on data matching to prevent and detect fraud and corruption see the Council's Level 2 National Fraud Initiative Privacy Notice. For further information you can also refer to Trafford Council’s own Privacy Notices.