New or full variation to a premises licence

A premises licence authorises the use of any premises for licensable activities as described below.

  • The sale by retail of alcohol.
  • Providing regulated entertainment, for example, performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting event, live or recorded music and dancing.
  • Providing late night refreshment (sale of hot food and/or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am).

If you are a public house, off-licence or supermarket selling alcohol or a takeaway serving after 11pm you will require a Premises Licence. Church halls, community centres and school halls regularly holding entertainment will also require a Premises Licence although for occasional events they may apply for Temporary Event Notices.

To sell alcohol you must also hold a Personal Licence and a nominated Designated Premises Supervisor must be made on the application for a Premises Licence. They must hold a Personal Licence and be responsible for the day to day running of the Premises.

A Premises Licence is valid for the life of the premises and can be varied at any time to change the hours or activities allowed.

An application for a new, or to vary, a Premises Licence must be submitted to us together with the fee and also submitted to the Responsible Authorities (see below).

It must then be advertised on the premises, the day after the application is lodged, and remain there for 28 days. It must also appear in a local newspaper within 10 working days of the application being lodged. A 28 day objection period then follows during which members of the public may object to the application. If objections are received a a Licensing Sub-Committee will be held to determine the application.

Regulated Entertainment

  • A performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting events
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoors or outdoors)
  • A performance of live music
  • A performance of dance
  • Any playing of recorded music
  • Anything similar to the above

Late night refreshment

Late night refreshment is hot food and drink supplied to members of the public, for consumption on or off the premises, between the hours of 11pm and 5am.


Live music at small premises

Where there is musical entertainment at premises which have a permitted capacity of not more than 200 persons and are used primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises, only licence conditions relating to either crime and disorder or public safety apply to that musical entertainment i.e. those relating to protection of children from harm or public nuisance do not apply to the musical entertainment.

However, if there is a review of the licence then the exempted conditions can be applied.

Where there is a performance of live music between 8am and midnight (and no other form of regulated entertainment) at such premises then no licence conditions can apply with regard to the musical entertainment unless there is a review of the licence.

Place of Worship

Premises such as churches do not require a premises licence for activities which would otherwise be classified as 'regulated entertainment' taking place at the church.

Garden Fêtes

Entertainment provided at a garden fête, or similar event, is not 'regulated entertainment' and thus requires no licence.

Application process

Applications must be on the correct form and accompanied by:

  • the appropriate fee
  • an operating schedule
  • a plan of the premises which must be clear and legible in all material respects
  • a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity)

The operating schedule is part of the application form and must include details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public

In the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for:

  • information in respect of the premises supervisor
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information

Applicants will be required to advertise their application and to give notice of the application.We must grant the application where no objections have been received.

However, a hearing must be held if any objections are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted, granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities can be excluded, or the application can be rejected.

We will serve a notice of our decision on the applicant, any person who has made objection and the chief of police.


The fee depends on the ratable value of the premises:

  • £0 to £4,300 - £100 
  • £4,301 to £33,000 - £190
  • £33,001 to £87,000 - £315 
  • £87,001 to £125,000 - £450 
  • £125,001 and over - £635 


  1. Select Licensing from the "all categories" drop down menu
  2. Select apply
  3. Select Premises Licence - New or Variation/Amendment/Copy (whichever is applicable)
  4. Make your payment
  5. You should note the receipt reference as this will be required on the form


Where a representation concerning the licensing objectives is lodged by a responsible authority about a proposed operating schedule the licensing authority's discretion will be engaged. It will also be engaged if an interested party makes relevant representations to the licensing authority i.e. those which are not frivolous or vexatious and which relate to the licensing objectives.

Where a notice of a hearing is given to an applicant, the licensing authority is required under the Licensing Act 2003 (Hearings) Regulations 2005 to provide the applicant with copies of the relevant representations that have been made.

In exceptional circumstances, persons making representations to the licensing authority may be reluctant to do so because of fears of intimidation or violence if their personal details, such as name and address, are divulged to the applicant.

Where we consider that a person has a genuine and well-founded fear of intimidation and may be deterred from making a representation on this basis, we may wish consider alternative approaches. For instance, we may ask the person to provide the relevant with details of how they consider that the licensing objectives are being undermined so that the responsible authority can make representations if appropriate and justified.

We may also decide to withhold some or all of the person’s personal details from the applicant, giving only minimal details (such as street name or general location within a street). However, withholding such details would only be considered where the circumstances justify such action.

A hearing will be required for the licensing authority to consider the representations, at which the parties will be invited to attend, to provide clarification of their own representations.

How to apply

You can apply online for a new licence or to change an existing licence.

Apply for a New Premises Licence

Apply for a Full Variation