Temporary event notice

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in Trafford where alcohol and/or entertainment or late night refreshment are provided, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to us no later than ten working days before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police and environmental health team no later than ten working days before the event if you are applying by post.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.


Live music at small premises

Where there is musical entertainment at premises which have a permitted capacity of not more than 200 persons and are used primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises, only licence conditions relating to either crime and disorder or public safety apply to that musical entertainment i.e. those relating to protection of children from harm or public nuisance do not apply to the musical entertainment.

However, if there is a review of the licence then the exempted conditions can be applied.

Where there is a performance of live music between 8am and midnight (and no other form of regulated entertainment) at such premises then no licence conditions can apply with regard to the musical entertainment unless there is a review of the licence.

Place of Worship 

Premises such as churches do not require a premises licence for activities which would otherwise be classified as 'regulated entertainment' taking place at the church.

Garden fêtes 

Entertainment provided at a garden fête, or similar event, is not 'regulated entertainment' and thus requires no licence.

Eligibility criteria

The TEN should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under your authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

You can view the full TEN legslation online.


  • The fee for a TEN is £21.
  • You will be sent a payment receipt reference, you need this reference to enter on the web form. 


  • Select licensing from the "all categories" drop down menu.
  • Click apply.
  • Select Temporary Event Notice
  • Make your payment. 

How to apply

You can apply using our online form. If you apply online we will send copies of your notice to the police and environmental health for you.

When completing the form you will be asked to provide the ward in which your premises is in.

Apply for a TEN

Next steps

If the chief police officer and environmental health officer who receives your notice believes that the event would undermine the licensing objectives of crime prevention and public nuisance they can serve an objection notice on us.

This notice must be served the next working day following receipt of your TEN.

Where an objection notice is served we must hold a hearing to determine whether we will allow the event to take place or whether we will issue a counter notice.

We may issue a counter notice which would prevent the event from going ahead if we consider it necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective. In either case we must make a decision at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A police chief may contact you to discuss modifying your TEN, and if you agree to any changes any police objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

We may issue a counter notice where we believe you have exceeded the number of TENs permitted by the Licensing Act., which are 12 notices per premises per calendar year.

Tacit consent 

Tacit consent will apply, this means that you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after ten working days.

Where tacit consent is applicable, it will only apply for licences / registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

If the notice is refused

Contact us in the first instance using the details at the bottom of the page.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice you may appeal against the decision to Trafford Magistrates' Court within 21 days. However, an appeal must be lodged at least five working days before the planned event.

How to complain

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If we decide not to issue a counter notice following an objection notice from the chief police officer, then the police can appeal that decision. The police must appeal to Trafford Magistrates' court within 21 days. However, an appeal must be lodged at least five working days before the planned event.

Trade associations

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For further information on data matching to prevent and detect fraud and corruption see the our Level 2 National Fraud Initiative Privacy Notice. For further information you can also refer to our Privacy Notices.

Contact details