New vehicle licence
The information on this page relates to a new vehicle plate.
We have a policy on the age of vehicles we will license as follows:
- Private Hire vehicles must be less than 5 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 10 years old
- Private Hire vehicles that are wheelchair accessible must be less than 7 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 15 years old
- Hackney Carriages Vehicles must be less than 7 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 15 years old
There are no exceptional circumstances to the age policy for new to license or replacement vehicles. There are no vehicle colour limits.
In addition to the above we no longer accept vehicle’s written off in any category.
If your vehicle has been modified or has more than four passengers, you will need a Seating Configuration. If a seat has to be tipped forward in order to access any rear seats, then the seat will have to be removed and this will affect the overall number of passengers that may be carried. You can arrange a Seating Configuration by contacting email@example.com.
If you can not provide all relevant documentation your application will be rejected.
- Log book page 1 and 2
- Compliance certificate - dated within the last 6 months
- Bill of sale
- Tint test - see list of nominated garages
- HPI check
- Insurance certificate
- Insurance schedule (Fleet owners only)
- LOLER certificate (for wheelchair accessible vehicles)
- The fee for a new vehicle licence is £209.00. (Rear plate = £183, front plate = £26)
- You will be sent a payment receipt reference, you need this reference to enter on the web form.
- Select licensing from the "all categories" drop down menu.
- Click apply.
- Select either New Private Hire Vehicle Licence or a New Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence.
- Make your payment.
Once your application has been determined, your new vehicle licence will be sent to you via special delivery, this can take 7-10 working days to arrive from the date you recieve your paper licence. However it may take up to 2 weeks.