How to transfer a vehicle plate
We have a policy on the age of vehicles it will licence as follows:
- Private Hire vehicles must be less than 5 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 10 years old
- Private Hire vehicles that are wheelchair accessible must be less than 7 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 15 years old
- Hackney Carriages Vehicles must be less than 7 years old at the time of application and the licence will not be renewed once the vehicle reaches 15 years old
There are no exceptional circumstances to the age policy for new to licence or replacement vehicles.
If your vehicle has been modified or has more than four passengers, you will need a Seating Configuration. If a seat has to be tipped forward in order to access any rear seats, then the seat will have to be removed and this will affect the overall number of passengers that may be carried. You can arrange a Seating Configuration by contacting email@example.com.
If you can not provide all relevant documentation your application will be rejected.
- Log book page 1 and 2 or Green Slip
- Compliance Certificate - dated within the last 6 months
- Bill of sale
- Tint test - see list of nominated garages
- HPI Check
- Insurance Certificate
- Insurance Schedule (Fleet owners only)
- LOLER certificate (for wheelchair accessible vehicles)
- Seating configuration (If over 5) passengers - contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange
- The fee for the new vehicle licence is £63.00. (£37 Rear plate + £26 front plate = £63)
- You will be sent a payment receipt reference, you need this reference to enter on the web form.
- Select licensing from the "all categories" drop down menu.
- Click apply.
- Select either Private Hire Vehicle Transfer or Hackney Carriage Vehicle Transfer.
- Make your payment.
- The Licensing Officer does not require the return of your old plate, destroy this.
- Once your application has been determined, your new vehicle licence will be sent to you via special delivery, this can take 7-10 working days to arrive from the date you recieve your paper licence.