Property bands

All domestic property has a Council Tax band, each home has been allocated one of eight bands according to its market value at 1 April 1991. The price of your home today is therefore not a good guide as to what your band should be. Your bill will state which band applies to your home.

The amount of Council Tax due for properties in each band is shown in the table. You can check the valuation band of your own home and other properties by using the Council Tax banding checking service provided by the Valuation Office Agency.

Properties in Partington, Warburton and Carrington are subject to a Parish precept which is not included in the Council Tax Payable figure below. You can find more information about this on our forms and leaflets page.

Council Tax Property Bands and Charges 2024/25
BandMarket Value Range of Property (as at 1 April 1991)Council Tax Payable for 2024/25
A Up to £40,000 £1313.90
B Over £40,000 and up to £52,000 £1532.90
C Over £52,000 and up to £68,000 £1751.87
D Over £68,000 and up to £88,000 £1970.88
E Over £88,000 and up to £120,000 £2408.84
F Over £120,000 and up to £160,000 £2846.82
G Over £160,000 and up to £320,000 £3284.78
H Exceeding £320,000 £3941.76

Find out more about your Council Tax Band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) maintains the Council Tax Valuation List. This includes placing new properties within a Council Tax band and changing bands for properties when necessary.  

You can see how domestic properties are assessed for Council Tax bands on GOV.UK, to understand why your property is in a certain band.

How to challenge your Council Tax Band

In certain circumstances you can challenge your Council Tax band if there has been a change that affects the property or you think your band is wrong. You can submit your challenge online.

Challenge your Council Tax band on GOV.UK 

If you have any questions concerning a banding challenge or appeal you should contact the Valuation Office Agency directly using their online form.

If you have challenged or appealed against a valuation and are waiting to learn the decision, you will still have to pay instalments according to the Council Tax bill that we have sent you. However, if a challenge or appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any Council Tax you have overpaid. 

Self-Catering/Holiday Lets

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) has changed how they assess self-catering/holiday lets for Business Rate purposes. If the property does not meet the VOA’s new criteria, it will remain in the Council Tax List until the criteria are met. This means it will be assigned a Property Band and charged Council Tax instead of Business Rates. For further information visit changes to business rates rules for self-catering properties on GOV.UK.