Dog warden service

The dog warden aims to help prevent stray dogs from being a danger to traffic or a nuisance to people and to reunite lost dogs with their owners. However, if someone finds your dog or it is seized by the dog warden we can only try to notify you or return your dog if it is wearing a tag, or is micro-chipped. There will be a fee for the return of your dog.

Your dog must wear a tag (collar) by law when out in a public place. You are also required to have your dog microchipped and to ensure that the register contains your up-to-date contact details.

How to report a lost, found or stray dog

Our dog warden service is provided by Salford Council and you will be redirected to their website to complete the forms. 

Report a lost dog

You can also let us know you have found a dog.

Reclaiming a lost dog

Any found dogs, that can't be reunited by the dog warden will be taken to their Turnpike Depot and can be collected from there, by arrangement. Dogs may be transferred to Manchester Dogs’ Home if not collected within 24 hours.

How to reclaim a dog from Turnpike Depot or Manchester Dogs’ Home.

Found dogs are also publicised on our Dogs in Salford and Trafford social media accounts:

Fees and charges

Fees and charges
Fee for dogs collected from Salford Kennels, Turnpike Depot £40.00
Fee for dogs reclaimed from Manchester Dogs’ Home £90.00
Kennelling charges whilst at MDH – first day £10.00
Additional days £5.00

Making a complaint about a dog

Dangerous Dogs 

To report a problem with a Dangerous Dog, contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050.

Noise nuisance

Complaints about noise nuisance caused by dogs barking can be made to our Environmental Protection Team.

Report the abuse or neglect of a dog

If you are concerned about the abuse, neglect or welfare of a dog, this should be reported to the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Penalties for dog fouling

Penalties for dog fouling are outlined in The Clean Neighbourhoods Act 2006. This Act means that it is illegal to fail to clear up after your dog if it fouls any land which is open to the air and to which the public have access.

The penalty for contravening the Act is a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice or prosecution in the magistrates court.