Filthy and verminous premises

We can investigate premises that are filthy and verminous. 

  • Filthy - usually means there is rotting food, human or animal excrement inside the property
  • Verminous - means the property is infested with pests such as rats, mice, fleas or houseflies

We can not investigate cluttered or untidy houses and rubbish in gardens etc. 

What we can do

Environmental Health Officers will carry out investigations and, where appropriate, may serve legal notices requiring owners to clean filthy premises and to destroy any vermin. 

If Notices are not complied with we can employ contractors to carry out the required works to clean the property and/or destroy the vermin.

Make a complaint online

You can report any of the following using our online complaint form:

  • Premises you believe to be filthy and/or verminous
  • A build up of rubbish in a garden
  • A property in a poor state of repair which is affecting your property

Make a complaint online

If you are concerned about the person living in the property and want to get help for them or yourself you could contact our Social Services Department.