Work on a major £7m refurbishment of Urmston Leisure Centre will start next month, Trafford Council has announced.
Developers ISG will move onto the Bowfell Road site on 1st April to begin the refurbishment which will provide the community with modern leisure, health and wellbeing facilities.
The current centre, run by Trafford Leisure, will be extended and extensively refurbished. It will offer:
- A state-of-the-art fitness suite with a 100 stations
- A new café with seating for over 100 people, open throughout the day to members and non-members
- A Sensory room and changing places toilet enabling more disabled customers to visit the centre
- Glass façade with a clip climb wall on the inside
- Children’s activity area and two party rooms, available to hire for celebrating special occasions.
- Wellbeing assessment room to help members get the most from their fitness regimes
- Group exercise studios with new classes and programmes for all ages and abilities
Designed by 5plus Architects, the work will be carried out in a way that will allow the facilities to remain available as much as possible throughout. The refurbishment will be completed by February 2020.
Councillor Kevin Procter, Executive Member for Communities and Housing, said:
As a Council we are committed to improving the leisure centre and creating opportunities for people to be active and stay healthy. We all know how important exercise is in preventing illness and improving wellbeing and happiness.
We will keep disruption to a minimum so people can still enjoy the leisure centre as the work is taking place. The end result of this will be a fabulous, modern leisure centre which will serve the community for many, many years to come. I am very excited to see the end result in February.“
Posted on Wednesday 20th March 2019