Street works and permits

It is a requirement of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 that undertakers notify highway authorities of works on the highway. However, emergency road works can start before notice is given.

To excavate the public highway you will need a Section 50 licence. You are legally obliged to apply for a licence so that we can:

  • Ensure the works carried out do not pose a danger.
  • To minimise the inconvenience to persons using the street.
  • Minimise disruption to traffic and other users of the street, having particular regard to the needs of people with a disability.
  • Protect the structure of the street or highway and the integrity of any equipment/apparatus on it.

Any works that require construction of a site entrance must not commence until approval has been granted.

How to obtain a Section 50 Licence

To apply, complete the Section 50 application form and submit it along with any additional information required as outline in the form.

It is in the public interest that each submitted application form is processed before being granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, do not hesitate to get in touch.

How can I see what street works are registered to take place?

If you access our street works register you can view current and planned street works carried out by utility companies.

It is a requirement of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 that undertakers notify highway authorit of works in the highway. However, emergency road works can start before notice is given.

Please contact the relevant utility company for more information.

How to make a complaint about road works

Any complaints about the location or timing or road works should be reported using the contact details below and this will be dealt with accordingly.

Failed application redress or licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance. An appointed arbitrator will determine if consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.