Transition Grant

Funding is for additional staff time during an induction period. This helps the school or setting to support the child by gathering information about their needs, establishing strategies and training staff.

When is the funding available?

The earliest that funding is available is the term after a child's second birthday. For funding purposes terms start on 1 January, 1 April and 1 September.

Who is the funding available for?

It is for new children starting for the first time, children moving rooms within the school or setting and children moving from setting to school nursery class. 

The funding is available for children who attend a Trafford school nursery class or private provider for their free early education place. This is regardless of where the child lives with the exception of Manchester residents due to different cross border funding arrangements.

If you want to apply for funding for a Manchester resident in a Trafford nursery you will need to apply directly to Manchester Council. If you are a Manchester nursery and want to apply for funding for a Trafford resident child, you should complete our form below. 

How much funding is available?

The funding is paid at a set rate of £7.90 per hour. Please note the maximum allocation has recently changed and is now 5 hours per week for 6 weeks. 

How do I apply?

Providers need to complete a transition grant application and agree to the transtition grant terms and conditions.

Do parents/carers need to give their consent?

Parent/carers need to provide their consent before an application can be considered by the panel. There are two ways to do this:

Parent/carer completes online consent form.

Early education provider downloads the printable form for the parent/carer to sign.  This can be submitted with the provider's online application. 

A to Z of Council Services