The Coronavirus continues to impact on collections and our ability to provide a full waste and recycling service.
In response to residents’ feedback, we are temporarily introducing a limited green bin collection service. This limited service will start next week and run for two weeks; finishing on Friday 17 April. This is only possible by diverting resources from other services, but will allow for a one off final collection to empty the bins until we are in a position to resume a full service. Please note that households are limited to presenting a maximum of two green bins for collection at this time.
Green bins will be collected from households who have a scheduled black bin collection. This means that half the borough will have their green bin collected week beginning 6 April, and the rest will have their green bin collected week beginning 13 April. Where households have a green street caddy instead of a green bin, it will be collected. We will empty as many green bins/caddies as we can, but residents should please continue to bear with us at this time. We are doing everything possible to maintain the service as best we can. If we are unable to empty the green bin or caddy, residents should bring it back in. We will not be able to return.
Residents should follow the advice below on their bin collections.
From Monday 6 April to Friday 17 April, residents should follow this advice on their bin collections:
- Place your scheduled grey or black bins out for collection as normal by 6.30am on your usual collection day - check your bin collection calendar
- During this period, present your green bin(s) or green street caddy for collection on your scheduled black bin day (together with your black bin). If your next scheduled bin is grey, you should wait until your black bin day to present your green bin
- This is a one off final collection to empty green bins/street caddies until we are in a position to resume a full service
- If you have more than one green bin, we will only empty up to a maximum of two green bins presented for collection
- We will try our best to empty your green bin. However should we not collect your bin, please bring it back in. We are unable to return
- You should continue to put food waste in your grey bin. For the time being compostable bags will not be delivered
- For the time being you should not put garden waste in your green bin. Please see our hints and tips on home composting below
- With our resources stretched, any waste that is left to the side or on top of your bin will not be accepted
- Only contact us to report a missed collection of your grey or black bins during this period
- Green bins presented for collection after 17 April will not be collected
The information is reviewed daily so may change at short notice. For more information on waste services affected by the Coronavirus and helpful hints and tips to help you minimise your waste, visit the council website.
Posted on Friday 3rd April 2020