Health and safety

The Environmental Health Service within the Council carries out regular checks on offices, shops, warehouses, places used for leisure activities and other non-industrial premises. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) deal with factories and other industrial operations. This ensures that safe and healthy working conditions are provided for your employees, those who are self-employed and members of the public visiting these premises.

The Council have a Health and Safety Enforcement Policy which builds on the Corporate Enforcement Policy, and outlines in detail the approach taken by the Environmental Health Service in relation to health and safety enforcement.

Health and safety support for businesses

To help businesses assess or review their level of compliance with the law, a health and safety handbook has been produced which provides employers, managers and the self-employed with useful advice on health and safety management. It contains details of further reading covering a wide range of subjects from Safety Policies and Risk Assessments to guidance on specific regulations such as COSHH, Work at Height, Work Equipment and PPE etc.

The HSE website is also a really useful source of information and guidance for businesses and members of the public including example risk assessments and interactive tools, much of it tailored towards smaller businesses.

Gas safety in catering establishments

A number of serious incidents have occurred in recent years in restaurants and takeaways relating to poor installation and  maintenance of gas cooking appliances and other catering equipment. The specific legal requirements regarding the maintainence of such gas appliances are outlined in the guidance leaflets below:

For further information on gas safety contact Gas Safe Register or call 0800 408 5500

Health and safety complaints and enquiries

If you work in Trafford or have visited a business in Trafford and have concerns about a particular health and safety at work matter, or would just like some advice regarding a particular health and safety matter you can contact us using our online Environmental Health complaints form.

Incident reporting

There is also a legal requirement to report certain work related accidents, diseases, and dangerous occurrences. More details can be found on our accident reporting page or on the HSE website.

Health and safety training

There are a large number of reputable training providers who offer training in the Greater Manchester area including:

Economic Solutions (Manchester based not-for-profit group of companies delivering skills, training, employment and recruitment services to businesses)

Alternatively you can contact one of the principal awarding bodies for advice about a suitable course. The awarding bodies are:

Tackling commercial robberies and retail violence

The Council's Environmental Health Officers also work in partnership with Greater Manchester Police Crime Reduction Specialists visiting businesses to give advice and guidance on improving safety and security and reducing the risk of employees being subject to threats and violence.